World Water Day 2022
Learn about the 3 actions you can take today to make a difference.
Having access to clean water is essential to living a healthy life. Water is needed for drinking, food preparations and sanitation. Millions of people die in developing countries due to waterborne diseases caused by the lack of access to clean water and proper sanitation. Today, 2 billion people are currently living without access to safe water.
The main causes of the water crisis are overuse, increasing demand due to the rise in world population, pollution, poor water management, lack of infrastructure, and changes in weather patterns due to global warming.
Therefore, it is paramount to raise awareness about the importance of freshwater and to identify actions that we can all take to make a difference.
What is World Water Day?
World Water Day is an annual United Nations (UN) observance day established in 1993 and held on March 22 . Its goal is to highlight the importance of freshwater and to advocate for its sustainable management.
This day brings to light the inequality of access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) and the need to assure the human right to water and sanitation.
The theme for World Water Day 2022
Each year a new theme is selected in line with Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6, this goal is about granting everyone in the world access to clean water and sanitation by 2030. The theme for World Water Day 2022 is GROUNDWATER: MAKING THE INVISIBLE VISIBLE.
This year's attention is drawn to the importance of groundwater, a significant but often undermined resource. Out of sight, under our feet, groundwater is a hidden treasure that enriches our lives. Indeed, almost all of the liquid freshwater in the world is groundwater. As climate change gets worse, groundwater will become more and more critical. Thus, we need to work together to sustainably manage this precious resource.
3 actions you can take today to make a difference
There is a need for the joint effort of individuals, businesses, and the government to provide the necessary support to solve the global water crisis. We have identified 3 actions that you can take today to make a difference.
1. Donate to charitable organizations
You can donate to several charities or organizations that are particularly committed to solving the water crisis, such as WaterAid, UNICEF, UNHCR, Water.org and Charity Water and many more. You can make a one-time donation or donate monthly. Even one small donation can make have a big impact.
2. Stop water waste
You can make a conscious effort to reduce water waste. There are various ways to do so, such as:
- Taking shorter showers. A typical shower uses five to ten gallons of water a minute. Limit your showers to the time it takes to soap up, wash down and rise off.
- Turning off the tap while doing dishes or brushing teeth when water is not needed
- Reusing water. Instead of letting clean water down the drain, capture some of it and reuse it to wash your hands, water your potted plant, water your backyard garden or even rinse your vegetables.
3. Take the 1 minute challenge
Participating in the World Water Day 2022 - One Minute Challenge is very simple and free of charge.
Follow these simple steps:
1. Shoot a 60-second video in which you explain:
- how does groundwater affect your life
- whether is there enough and it is safe
- what do you think needs to be done to protect groundwater
2. Upload your groundwater story to YouTube or Vimeo
3. Share the video on social media using the hashtag #MyGroundwaterStory and #WorldWaterDay
4. Send the link at firstname.lastname@example.org by 20 November 2022.
Your video might be selected to be screened at the UN-Water Summit on Groundwater in December 2022
Download the challenge guidelines here.
World Water Day 2022